donutszenmom

Friday, August 11, 2006

Practice notes in 5 minutes or less (8/11/06)

Mysore morning. The British Director, Crim Girl, Mr India and NYChick. A small turnout for a Friday. I miss Returning Guy. He is visiting with his son, and the shala just isn't the same. He is always the first one in, surya-ing away as the rest of us enter the room.

Practice was good. Warm and a little ponderous, but not too bad. All of my energy is focused on the quad engagement, and my hamstrings are very happy for it. Additionally, my drishti stays on my nose/shins in forward bends--no looking at my toes. I miss them, and I miss the intense focus of that particular gaze, but my hamstring inserts are really feeling alot better with this small shift in drishti. I'm sure it's because my lower back is rounding more, but hey, I'm one year into Ashtanga practice and I have to accept that it's gonna take a while for those hamstrings to release. I need to cut them some slack.

Handstands have been particularly fun: Volleyball Guy has me holding my knees in tight until my hips are up, and then I extend my legs. It feels like swimming in air. Same dealio on the way back down to the next navasana: hold the crossed legs in tight all the way down from handstand.

Supta K was the usual: I get in, grab my fingers, scoot my feet. Volleyball Guy put his hand over mind, then pushes my feet closer. I don't think I'll get my feet crossed, because I am short and stubby. I think I'll have better luck getting my feet cross behind my head.

Therefore the usual foot behind the head goofing around after backbends. If I just do it persistently, eventually it'll happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home