donutszenmom

Monday, December 05, 2005

Morning of the Funky Mat

Not sure where it was, but somewhere at Volleyball Guy's this morning, there was a seriously funky mat. Euww. My old mat disintegrated recently, and I have a new one, so it wasn't mine. Kinda wish it was, though, 'cause then I'd know how to fix the problem.

My knee is in "no way" mode. No way to most everything. Even sketchy in Janu A. And forget about Janu C. I already knew the usual off-limits poses weren't in the cards today. So I modified as best I could. I have this vision of the knee slooooowly healing, at which point I'll have a beautiful practice on my left side, and be a total klutz on the right.

Volleyball Guy gave me an incredible adjustment in Janu A this morning (on the left side; on the right, he just kind of stabilized my knee and let me do my own thing). It's funny to get that kind of intense adjustment on a pose I feel like I've already "got." Janu A always feels good to me--I can easily flatten my torso onto my outstretched leg--but this morning, Volleyball Guy pushed me down and forward enough that it felt like my head was going to hit my foot. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration--but suffice it to say, I was surprised to find there was so much more room in the pose than I usually take.

Yesterday, after my dream of Richard Freeman, I decided to look at his DVD to check out his exit from bhujapidasana. But what really ended up catching my attention were a few things he did as he set up for Marichyasana A and C. I was eager to give it a try this morning. My results: uhm, I think Richard is taunting me with his virtuosity...he made it look like it was going to be so easy... LOL! Oh well, I guess I shoulda seen that coming...

Good practice this morning, in the company of Sanksrit Scholar, Bikram Teacher and The Other Dave. All with our various knee and hamstring complaints. Just another morning Mysore.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

B is okay if I keep the quad directly over the calf--essentially, what you are saying--I can't open the leg up too far, or else it torques my knee. It's amazing how many poses twist your knees, isn't it?? I couldn't believe even Janu A is affected... Quite honestly, though it stinks to be injured, I am learning ALOT about the mechanics of the poses because of my sore knee. It forces me to explore them differently, and certainly more sensitively ;-)

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home