donutszenmom

Monday, August 21, 2006

Lunch blog

Mysore this morning. A few really cool things. For one, marichyasana D. This morning was the very first time that I really felt the work of the lotus foot in the abs. It was quite intense, the combination of the twist and the deeply pressing foot. Up 'til now, my marichy D has been all about containing centrifugal force as my limbs tried to spring out of the pose. Today, though, it was all centripetal energy, and it totally rocked. Kind of like a marichy B feeling on steroids.

Next good thing: kurmasana. Heels up and no pain. There's a big fear factor, still, because I think this pose (well, actually, my bullheaded attempts to get into this pose) is where my hamstring drama started.


After kurmasana, I was flailing for supta kurmasana and Chanting Man asked me if I wanted some help. He gave me a great adjustment--hands bound really tightly, and soles of my feet together quite painlessly. At the end, I said, "Thank you. That was good." He said, "I read your blog. I know your issues." I laughed and said, "It's my cry for help." LOL!

Baddha konasana: Volleyball Guy draped two sandbags on my back and I managed to get my forehead to the ground after about 7-8 breaths. Woohoo! I still am thrilled by this pose. I especially like the cracking sacrum sound effect.

Savasana involved a lengthy fantasy. First, I thought about the upcoming rope wall in the yoga room (which The Cop claims I am obsessed about). It occurred to me that if we were going to have hooks on the wall, we could easily install some climbing holds. But just straight up climbing? Booooring. Wait a minute, the ceiling slants up rather nicely from the yoga room into the livingroom, where it makes a sharp peak. It's a big open space with a half wall/fireplace separating the two rooms. You could cover the whole thing with holds and it'd be a climbing dream. I thought about our couch and chairs and end tables and TV all surrounded by walls and ceilings of climbing holds. The Cop is handy; he could do this. Oh wait, we'll need anchors for belays--but that's do-able. And rebar grids to reinforce all the walls...hmmmm, maybe this is not quite so simple as my savasana dream...

I told The Cop all about it when I got home from practice. He shot it all down with a "diminished resale value" argument. Right, like the heavy bag he installed on the back patio is an upgrade, but my climbing wall interior would be a problem ;-)

I'm gonna keep the dream alive. Maybe one day it'll manifest.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider this in regard to your practice:

A student went to his meditation teacher and said, "My meditation is horrible! I feel so distracted, or my legs ache, or I'm constantly falling asleep. It's just horrible!"

"It will pass," the teacher said matter-of-factly.

A week later, the student came back to his teacher. "My meditation is wonderful! I feel so aware, so peaceful, so alive! It's just wonderful!'

"It will pass," the teacher replied matter-of-factly.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd be *more* likely to buy a house that comes with an indoor climbing wall AND yoga room :-D

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home