donutszenmom

Saturday, January 07, 2006

What a difference 6 months makes

Today marks 6 months since I started practicing Ashtanga. And I celebrate it a little sadly, because I am not at Volleyball Guy's led primary. I have too much house stuff to do, and it wouldn't be fair to let The Cop work while I practice. C'est la vie. A hard decision, but perhaps one my practice has made a little easier. Maybe I am getting my priorities a bit more in order. Ash mentioned this today in relation to his car, and it got me thinking.

Six months of practice is nothing, but it's also really something. My body feels very different--the freedom in my hips and shoulders and spine is astounding. Oh yeah, there's waaaaay more to go, but what a terrific start. I also have the community of the shala, which I am quite grateful for. And I have practice, which helps put things into perspective. I really believe Ashtanga practice gives zazen practice a run for the money.

So far, so good. Thanks to Ashtangis, physical and virtual, who've helped me learn so much so quickly. Special thanks to Volleyball Guy, Sanskrit Scholar, The British Director and Returning Guy. You guys rock.

Namaste.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lees Lamar said...

You have only been practicing 6 months! Woah!
From what your practice entails it sounded like you had been at it for a few years!
Congratulations!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

LOL! Maybe I'm just a better writer than I am a yogi. Perhaps if you *saw* me you'd have a different perspective ;-)

Thanks for the congrats--and thanks for your virtual support!

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey I also think ashtanga gives zazen a run for its money! I used to meditate every day but if I'm practicing, I feel it takes its place. I just don't have time for both so perhaps it is my way of kidding myself.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home