donutszenmom

Thursday, June 15, 2006

All In The Family

Long time, no blog. My parents are visiting. Tiffany, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it never gets better. LOL! Just kidding (kind of ;-)

There are so many bloggers now, that I can just read read read pretty much all day. No need to add anything more. Everyone's got it covered.

Plus I wonder if I'm overanalyzing. If the blogging doesn't exacerbate that tendency. Whether that's helpful right now.

Practice this morning was good. Home practice. Half, just to navasana. My dad walked past and kind of gave me a bemused look. I was using the iPod (onto which I ripped Sharath's CD), so I could stay focused, and so when my folks peered in at me in the yoga room, they'd see I was busy, that I was listening to something--that my inattentiveness wasn't anything personal. No insult intended.

Jeez, and what a project, attention-wise. I am NOT used to practicing with people puttering in the kitchen, making noise, making me nervous that they're going to wake The Cop--who got home from work at 4 AM, just a scant half hour before I rolled out of bed.

I wanted them to be interested in my practice, and I wanted them to leave me alone. Haha! How are they going to be able to figure out when I want them to be interested and when I want them to leave me alone?

Okay, so practice today was at home, was fine, was distracted, was just a good thing to manage to pull off with vistors setting off the fire alarm while making toast. I love them.

Yesterday was Mysore, and Volleyball Guy easily guided my hands to the floor in prasarita C. My hamstrings are glitchy but not unbearably so. In Gregor Maehle's book, he says to point the toes in forward bends. I've always flexed my feet. Pointed, the quads are automatically engaged, and I don't have to try to remember to pull up my knees. Much easier, and it seems to be helping my hamstrings recover. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this little change will make a big difference.

Tomorrow is Mysore again. The family (my sister arrived today) is making fun of me for getting up at 4:30 AM every day. They don't understand why anyone would do such a thing. They wonder if it's a cult. Or an addiction. Uh oh, I suppose I'm gonna have to come clean and admit that it is both.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's both a cult and addiction :) I've gotten my boyfriend into the cult of Ashtanga and I'm hoping it'll turn into an addiction for him too! Lol, just kidding... no pressure.

Actually, in Gregor's book, he says to do something in between a point and a flex for forward bends, it's like a half point, then you pull your toes towards your head. At least this is how we are taught at his shala.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh yes, thanks, Sue. I didn't explain it well--it's not a pointed toe, it's "Barbie toes"--like little high-fashion doll feet ;-)

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home