donutszenmom

Monday, November 06, 2006

Duvet & the Art of Being

Usually when I get home from work on Monday evenings, The Cop is at home. It's his day off from work. Tonight, though, he came in late. With a card and a bouquet and a gift for my birthday. A few days ago, I told him about a duvet I saw and liked. He spent his day today looking for the duvet. As it turns out, he bought a different one, but an even better one than the one I was talking about.

Another thing I saw and liked this weekend was the film "Ayurveda: The Art of Being." A terrific documentary, available from NetFlix. About Ayurvedic practitioners from all around the world, but the most notable were two elderly men practicing in India. Wonderful old men--funny and charming and delightful. Coincidentally, I spoke with My Gift on the phone last night and she was researching Ayurvedic physicians in her town. So I figured, what the heck, I might as well check this out. Found a practitioner in my area. Ought to be an interesting experience.

Practice this morning was good--easy and light and thoroughly enjoyable. Last night I thought about when I was first learning Ashtanga. Practice was absolutely the high point of my day. Now, with some time, it is a good part of my day, but something I've perhaps grown to take for granted a bit. On the one hand, that helps me integrate the practice into my daily life; on the other hand, some of the excitement, some of the pleasure, gets pushed into the background. Not a problem, really--I just have to be mindful of how good it feels to practice, how lucky I am to have those 90 minutes every day. I set an intention to be more aware of those good feelings this morning, and for more mornings. It's a habit now, my practice, but I have to remember that it's also something joyful, something to really treasure.

Like The Cop. Like My Gift. And the dog and the cat and the new duvet. Plain old every day life. Doesn't get better than that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yogamum said...

My husband wouldn't even know what a duvet IS, let alone pick out one I liked. You are a lucky woman!

Happy birthday!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Happy birthday! (And thanks for not mentioning your star sign. I think that's the first time that's happened on ashtangi.net ;) )

4:53 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Haha! My star sign. I'm old enough to remember when one's sign was a NEW idea for bar conversations, so I can't reference it now without feeling smirky and ironic.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home