donutszenmom

Monday, January 09, 2006

Criminal Blog Posting from Work

Hey, I'm on my lunch break--cut me some slack. Early meetings today, so my usual morning routine of practicing, then coming home and making tea and blogging was disrupted. For a long time, I've thought yoga is more important than work, and now I know that yoga and blogging are more important than work. Hmmm. Maybe this is exactly what not to post from work...

This morning was another non-Volleyball Guy morning. He's doing a teacher training, one of the advanced, accelerated programs. So he's not feeling the 5:30 AM Mysore practice. This morning I managed to get there right at 5:30, just as The Other Dave was opening the door. Sanskrit Scholar showed up shortly afterwards. It was just us, all morning.

It was great to practice with them. Both of them are strong practitioners--even-keeled and methodical. The Other Dave has offered me maybe three suggestions in the 6 months I've been practicing in his company, and each one has been something that really affected my practice. Today he said "It's coming along," and I kind of, uh, semi-executed eka pada bakasana to chaturanga. Maybe next time he'll have a more concrete suggestion...

Here's the question of the day, though: supta kurmasana--master the hands first or the legs? Today I went with hands, and am getting pretty close. But that means my legs aren't crossed. Oh, I flop around like a fish until I get the soles of my feet touching, but that's about it. Alternatively, I can come out of kurmasana, cross my ankles, and then try to get my shoulders jammed back under my legs. Never works out that well. I wish Volleyball Guy had been there to ask.

He is MIA for I don't know how long. Nice of me, huh, to be more concerned with my needs than his? Oh, I don't begrudge him--he should catch up on his sleep and I should figure some of this out on my own. I wonder if sometimes he doesn't just want to maintain a zen silence when we ask him all of our questions--surely many of them are silly, or ego-driven, or things we aren't meant to know yet. He has an adventure to the Philippines slated for the whole month of February, so I guess that'll give me plenty of time to hatch incorrect theories, gather all sorts of misinformation, and try all kinds of mistaken experiments. A little something to look forward to ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Soapwalla Chef said...

i've always been taught hands first.

i think it's like everything else though: custom.

happy monday!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

LOL! Okay, Sammy. Once I lose my job because I'm blogging at work, I can stay home and write all day. Stay tuned for much better customer service!


Thanks for the thoughts, both of you, on supta k. Perhaps I'll alternate a bit :-)

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home