donutszenmom

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Life of crime

Crim begets crim. What can I say? This morning, for home practice, I decided to check out Richard Freeman's Second Series DVD. I started off figuring I'd just do the standing poses with him.

I love the way RF describes things. I listen to his Primary DVD every so often, just to see if I'm remembering some of the stuff he mentions. I was thrilled to get this new DVD, to hear what sorts of images he comes up with. He's my nomination for Poet Laureate of Yoga.

One thing I was quite conscious of, listening to this new DVD, is how tense my mouth is. He kept mentioning how the palate should be relaxed and empty, and sure enough, I'd notice how tightly I had my tongue pressed up against the top of my mouth. It seems to be the locus of my tension during practice. Chased it out of my shoulders, but didn't lose it.

It was a pleasure working with the DVD (lots of reminders about the "cave of the sacrum," which was a nice reference point to keep in mind), and when we got to pasasana, I decided to give it a go. I haven't done any second series poses for a few months, and it felt good. I just went to laghuvajrasana, and knocked off there. RF keeps a good pace in this DVD, so I couldn't belabor things. Just a nice little practice, then finishing poses, and voila--I'm done.

I will be curious to see how I feel today. For a little while there, Volleyball Guy was doing second series on Tuesday evenings and I was going to that. I found, quickly, that the energy generated by the practice was totally frying me. I was instantly rendered sleepless and restless and frazzled. Of course, we went through the whole series, so that might have had something to do with it. Perhaps my little taste of it this morning will be invigorating, rather than exhausting. We'll see.

In other news, The Cop's parents are coming for a visit for the weekend. They arrive tomorrow night. The house we are in and the new house are both in a state of uproar, so I have to just give up wanting them to look pristine. We're in the midst of moving, so basically we have two disaster areas at the moment.

And My Gift From The Universe left me a note in the middle of the night. Apparently she is ill and will not be going to school. I hate when she feels sick. It always scares both of us, as we are concerned it might be a flare. Hopefully she'll just sleep it off, and wake feeling well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Soapwalla Chef said...

please tell the Gift to feel better! and if she ever wants to talk to another loopy, feel free to forward on my info.
have fun with the guests this weekend!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thanks, she's feeling okay. Seems like it's the flu thing that's going around, which is better than lupus flare. So we're thankful. And special thanks, REW--she's busy being a teen right now, but when she is a bit older and has some questions/experiences she wants to discuss, I'll make sure she has your contact info.

And yes, the tenseness in the face thing is pretty insidious. I keep relaxing, and then a while later, I notice I'm back to my same old tense head ;-) Luckily, it's a very pleasant thing to work on...

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home