donutszenmom

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Setu BandOWsana

Last night, as we were watching a really cool documentary, I started noticing that I was really sore. I was a dedicated weight-lifter for almost 20 years, so I am accustomed to muscle pain, but I've never been sore in these muscles before. They're the ones that run down your neck and under your collarbones. I didn't think about it all that much, and went to bed.

In the middle of the night I woke up, sore as hell, and all the muscles up my spine were sore, too. And it dawned on me: setu bandhasana. I flashed on practice yesterday and remembered that when I did setu bandhasana, I noticed with surprise that my hips were really high and that more of my forehead was on the mat than usual.

Admittedly, I am usually kind of a setu bandhasana slacker. I'm usually thinking about backbends at that point in my practice. Plus, setu bandhasana seems a little dangerous to me, so I pretty much go at it with little ambition and figure it will eventually evolve on its own. All of this adds up to pretty low-key attempts at the pose. But somehow, yesterday, I seem to have really gotten into the pose more fully. Silly me :-)

Today I'm taking the Moon Day off. We'll spend the day with The Cop's parents, who are leaving tomorrow at noon. I imagine we will eat a lot and drink. Sigh. Eating and drinking a lot are really rather challenging pursuits.

Oh, and the cool documentary we watched last night: The Story of the Weeping Camel. About a Mongolian family that tries to help a mother camel accept her baby. The two young brothers of the family take a journey through the Gobi to find a violinist to perform a ritual the elders say will cause the mother to accept the colt. It's a fascinating movie, beautifully filmed, and the people are just lovely. Check it out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiff said...

Setu bandasana hurts my forehead like hell...I get these marks on my head for the rest of class. Congrats on pushing up hard into it, it's scary at first.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thanks for the congrats, Tiffany, but it was pretty much all a fluke ;-)

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home