donutszenmom

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Learning, Ashtanga-style

Here we go:

The subclavius muscle. Located, as the name implies, under the clavicle, you can find it by feeling under the collarbone. Note that you need to go in well under the collarbone to affect this muscle. The first layer of myofascia encountered is the softer stuff of the clavicular fibers of the pectoralis major. The tougher subclavius is on the underside of the clavicle and usually has a tender or sore feel to it.

Uh, yeah. "Tender" or "sore." Try excruciating. Not really. No, today I am just maybe a notch up from tender and sore. So getting better. And it's always nice to know about a new muscle.

Practice, at home, was terrific. As I had suspected, my Tuesday and Thursday home practices were kind of suffering because they were just thrown into the routine kind of willy-nilly. By adding in the Wednesday home practice, I had three consecutive days to really build up some alone time.

All of the distractions of family life didn't faze me this morning. The Cop and My Gift go about their morning rituals quite efficiently, and I could just enjoy their peripheral presences. The Cop kissed me and went out the door in between third and fourth navasanas, and My Gift was heading out the door right at supta k. I asked her to help me out, taught her how to adjust my hands, received the adjustment, and then off she went. Now, how many kids leave for school after responding to the question, "Hey, do you think you can push my legs further up on my shoulders?" I don't know. But we find it amusing.

I'm not sure how, exactly, it was different--but suffice it to say, I was thoroughly absorbed in my practice. Just experiencing it all, and really enjoying it. Didn't think for a moment about how it was different or not as good as or better than usual--it just was what it was. With a guest appearance by tender, sore subclavius.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home